Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Another cooking contest, another blog entry...

This time around we have Sandee's contest, which was to make something using ingredients that begin with the same letters as her name. Specifically, 4 out of 5 of S A N D E E. Given that my efforts to get "Newtons (of fig)" approved as an "N" entry all failed, I ended up making (or rather, trying to make)..... Lemon Almond (nutmeg) Pound Cake.

I am not, for reasons that will become obvious, going to post what the cake was supposed to look like. Let's stay positive, shall we?

Ingredients!
Every single thing you see there, other than the butter, I had to buy. I had no idea there was even something called "cake flour" in the world. By the way, I'm out of butter now.

Sugars and Sour Cream
I lacked the dedication to open 300 sugar packets to get a cup of sugar, and bought actual loose sugar.

Almonds
The bulk section at Wegman's is my friend!

Nutmeg
This nutmeg is probably worthy of Patty's pantry. I got it from my parents about 4 years ago, and I think it was 10 years old then. Only the very best for you!

Eggs
Eggs provided by chickens who live better than any of us. You may enjoy eat the cake guilt-free.

Suffice to say this recipe was considerably more complicated than anything I have attempted before. And, as we might expect, I in no way rose to the challenge; instead flailing miserably and ineffectively around my kitchen, making a mess and generally causing discord.

The final insult was forgetting that my oven runs a little hot, and that pound cakes are, perhaps, a little too delicate for the margin of error I tend to require. Thus the result:
"Cajun-style Blackened Pound Cake". Yep, it's all the rage.

I have hope that with a little clever trimming and a lot of confectioner's sugar, I can still save this. I am nothing if not determined.






No comments:

Post a Comment